2/27/12

Training Racing

So, these went surprisingly well! I've been using these races as training, while following a plan by my excellent coach 'Aidan Ryan'

Basically it means I'm going in to the races a little tired from the previous day's efforts, but luckily my body is getting used to it, and i'm not feeling too bad during race day.

Race 2 - Biking Blitz  - 2nd place 


1st Place was Robin Seymour, 3rd place was Kevin Calhoun (Canadian Rocky Mountain rider)) These guys were fast on the downhills, but I could catch back on the uphills. Robin got a 29 second lead on me overall. I was kind of on the limit going through the downhill sections. Following these guys at warp speed was intense, kind of dangerous but seriously fun!

Some how, I felt good, even after the previous day's 100km /1650meters road ride. I think its down to the USN recover Xcell recovery juice!

Not only does it taste amazing (tropical flavour), its easy to mix and doesn't mess your bottles up afterwards. Its a carbohydrate/ protein mix, so its definitely the future for recovery drinks after hard efforts. Its proving to be incredibly useful after training during college days, when lunch has to wait a little! Check it out here http://www.usnireland.ie/Endurance-Recovery.html


 Chilling before the start, with the foreign legion. Its great to have a varied mix of cultures at the races these days, I'm learning about 4 languages at once! I like hanging with foreigners, we all know that.
Going through the super fast flowy sections looking like a Skinny spiderman! RAD





Race 3 - Traders Cup - Dundalk  (Somewhere in the Top 10)

This was boring but good training, again we trained for 4.5 the day before with a lot of climbing and the day before that I did a short session of power intervals. So my goal was to finish the thing!

Being a newbie to road cycling, I'm not yet 100% sure of the dynamics. But, I decided to work hard at the front for 1 hour 20 then got tired and recovered at the back for the remainder, but in the final stretch I followed one of the sprinters to the line, cross eyed, looking like a demented rat.

Mountain biking in Ireland is creative, spontaneous, and allows for deep pensive thoughts, Road biking in Ireland is grim. You may as just sit alone in a dark basement on an indoor trainer.

3 comments:

Ryan Sherlock said...

Have to disagree with you on road racing being grim... Unlike MTB in Ireland on the elite level there is a huge amount of strong riders on the road to compete against week in, week out. I know when I started racing road I found it boring too but after I while, I realized it was mostly due to the fact that I didn't know what was going on. It is much more tactical then MTB, more like chess.

Not having tired yourself out for the first while, you could have been in a better position for the final sprint (well done on your 10th by the way) - maybe up the road with the 3 leaders?

Richie Felle said...

Ah, I jest :) Its definitely Great training! looking forward to learning it though, as I haven't an clue! Chess, yes, exactly! gonna take it handy next time until the end! thanks! hopefully get a top 3 next time! :)

Danbury Glass Cutting said...

This is a ggreat blog